With SuperCoco and SuperGreen Happy Brush has expanded its range of vegan toothpaste by two more. The tube (diameter 35) and the tube shoulder is one of the first commercial laminate tubes at EPL, manufactured from post-consumer recycled plastics (PCR).
The use of PCR has kept the use of virgin materials to a minimum, enabling Happy Brush to continue to pursue its sustainability goals. The tube material fulfills all necessary barrier properties for the entire duration of use. The laminate is an EPL development and supports and strengthens EPL’s ‘Go Green’ initiative for the environment and society.
Why was the PCR laminate tube chosen?
Conventionally extruded tubes with PCR usually have a 50% PCR content, which means you save half on new resources (plastic). The introduction of PCR into laminates is much more problematic due to the lower wall thickness.
The Happy Brush Tube consists of 30%PCR. Even though this figure may seem lower at first glance, it is still more resource-efficient if you consider that the lower wall thickness already saves about 30% weight compared to the PE tube. The 30 % PCR results in a total saving of new resources of 60%.
When developing the artwork, Happy Brush oriented itself on the existing artwork from this toothpaste range. It was decided to use flexo/screen printing with 3 colors and a matt varnish.
The product names SuperCoco and SuperGreen as well as the top sheet on the tube were finished with a silk-screen printed relief varnish. In the interest of sustainability, other finishing options, such as an embossing foil, were dispensed with – and the number of colors was kept to a minimum. An environmentally friendly material was also selected for the packaging box. A convincing concept from the beginning to the end.
WordStar Award 2022 award in Health & Personal Care category
In May this year, in Milan EPL Europe, part of the Mumbai-headquartered global specialty packaging manufacturer, won a WorldStar Award in the ‘Health & Personal Care’ 2022 category for its Happy Brush (SuperCoco & SuperGreen) tubes, following its ‘Tubes of the Year’ award in the sustainability category by the European Tube Manufacturers Association (etma). The national award in Germany was EPL’s ticket to the World Packaging Organization’s WorldStar Awards.
“The successful cooperation with Happy Brush is characterized by trust and regular exchange about trends and needs of our customers. We are very happy about the international recognition. This is a clear confirmation that our development department is going the right way,” commented Christian Rettig senior vice president of Sales & Marketing for PL Europe.
The judging process for the WorldStar Award was conducted in two rounds, consisting of 36 internationally recognized jury members from around the world. The judges evaluated each entry carefully and attentively, spending hours reviewing a total of 440 entries before meeting virtually during WPO Week in November 2021 to select the winners.
The official WordStar award ceremony took place on the evening of 4 May 2022, during the Ipack Ima packaging trade show in Milan. Sustainability and usability were among the primary focuses of most entries for WorldStar 2022, in addition to other post-Covid-19 trends such as hygiene, wellness, and eCommerce.
Unchanged properties of the application using post-consumer recycled material (PCR) in combination with material reduction brought success for EPL Limited Europe, which stated, “We succeeded in balancing customer requirements, sustainability, and market dynamics with this product. The WorldStar award is a clear confirmation of our strategy and values.”
You need to be a member of On Feet Nation to add comments!
Join On Feet Nation