COVID-19 Impact on Level Sensors in Semiconductors and Electronics Industry
ANALYSIS ON IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON THE MARKET
COVID-19 originated in the city of Wuhan, China in 2019 and has been continuously spreading worldwide since then. It has been extended to more than 180 and the U.S. tops the list, followed by India, Brazil, France and Turkey. As of 16th July 2021, World Health Organization (WHO) reported 188 million positive cases worldwide, of which 4.06 million patients lost their lives to the virus. On a positive note, 172 million patients have recovered and 3.4 billion people have been vaccinated. The pandemic has put the lockdown, travel ban and business shutdown in most countries, impacting the global economy. All the significant industries face severe disruption such as a break in the supply chain, shut down of offices and manufacturing units and many more due to the pandemic.
However, the demand for the level sensor has drastically increased in automation industries with large-scale manufacturing and storage of liquids or powdered materials. Level sensors play a crucial role in effluent tanks for wastewater management, distribution of clean water and pump stations for irrigation systems, increasing demand in the market. Also, the increase in demand of level sensors in the oil and gas sector has raised the market's growth.
STRATEGIC DECISION BY MANUFACTURERS AFTER COVID-19
Manufacturers are making many strategic decisions to come back to the market post-COVID-19. The companies are conducting many research and development activities to improve the technology involved in level sensors. With this, the companies are bringing more advance and accurate sensors to the market. Also, the use of advanced level sensors by government authorities in water management has led to the market's growth. Many companies to increase their market reach and business has done partnership with other companies or acquired other companies.
• Siemens introduced Sitrans LR250 PLA (polypropylene lens antenna) radar level measurement transmitter, a field-proven device delivering reliable level readings for inventory management or critical process control. The transmitter has HART (Highway Addressable Remote Transducer), Profibus PA, or Foundation Fieldbus protocols to support the digitalization journey. Also, the transmitter has proven to be a reliable performer for bulk liquid storage tanks, process vessels with agitators, vaporous liquids and low dielectric media.
• In March 2020, TE Connectivity Ltd., a global industrial technology company with leading positions in connectivity and sensing solutions, completed the acquiring of First Sensor AG and held 71.87% shares of First Sensor. The acquisition helps to support the growth strategy of TE's sensors business and TE Connectivity as a whole. Also, the company will be able to expand its product base, including innovative solutions, market-leading sensors, connectors and systems, plus best-in-class capabilities.
• ABB's AquaMaster flowmeters have helped The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) to save water. The Authority produces and supplies drinking water to over 11 million people in Bangkok, Nonthaburi and Samutprakarn. Over 400 AquaMaster flowmeters actively serve the Bangkok Metropolitan area helping optimize the management of the water distribution network. GSM-SMS radio technology enables accurate, early warnings on leaks to the MWA central control room. With this, the company has provided a tool that offers high-resolution data that facilitates step testing, leakage detection and water network analysis in the Bangkok Metropolitan area.
IMPACT ON DEMAND AND SUPPLY CHAIN
The rapid adoption of level sensors in the energy and power industries leads to its growth in the market. The rise in the demand for automated industrial operations is indirectly inducing high demand for level sensors. The adoption of level sensors in the food and beverage industry has also increased the market growth rate. The increase in the contactless solution of the level sensor has raised its demand in the market. Also, the use of the level sensor in the oil and gas sector has augmented the market's growth.
• In June 2021, Emerson has introduced the Rosemount 1408H Level Transmitter, a non-contacting radar device designed specifically for the food and beverage industry. Its features include a hygienic compact design, fast sweep technology, exceptional radar beam focusing and IO-Link communications, helping manufacturers optimize their operations' efficiency, reduce product losses and ensure food safety. The company has provided its clients with level measurement technology for applications that require stringent hygienic facilities and equipment.
• In March 2021, KROHNE has introduced the AF-E 400 ultra-compact electromagnetic flowmeter for utilities and industrial automation applications. It is specially designed to fit in applications with little installation space, such as in cooling lines of welding equipment, bending machines and robots, or on chemical dosing skids. It features stainless steel housing and is suitable for continuous use at +90°C/ +194°F liquid temperature, allowing for very demanding cooling and hot water applications. Thus the company has provided an advanced electromagnetic flowmeter.
• In October 2020, NOHKEN Inc. announced the release of Tuning Fork Level Sensor for liquids application. The sensor has excellent durability and is corrosion resistance, compatible with most of the liquids. Also, it has operation check and failure diagnosis functions. The sensor is also compact and has no mounting direction and AC/DC free supply power is available.
The COVID-19 pandemic and the consequent lockdowns worldwide have massively disrupted global logistics and supply chains. This has caused new challenges for manufacturing and distribution operations. The increased restrictions on goods' movement have caused havoc in the industry. China, the world's largest manufacturer of raw materials and finished products, has shut down all the manufacturing units due to the spread of viruses. As the raw material was not supplied, level sensor manufacturers worldwide have to face the shortage of the material and could not cater to the customers' demand.
The level sensor market has tremendously evaluated in the last few years. The advancement in technology has provided higher accuracy, efficiency, easy installation and level sensor maintenance, leading to its growth in the market. The increasing use of the level sensor in the oil and gas industry has raised its demand in the market. The new advanced and accurate sensors in the market have increased the government sector's need for the level sensor. Also, the adoption of this technology in different industries such as food and beverage, power generation, chemical and others has led to the market's growth. Also, the contactless solution provided by the company has raised the demand for the level sensor in the market.
Read more COVID-19 Resources