HD The 74-year-old 'Black Widow' killer who murdered her lovers with cyanide

At 75, Isao Kakehi was in good health and in love.
It was 2013, and he had embarked on an exciting new relationship with Chisako Kakehi, a 67-year-old widow he met through a Japanese matchmaking agency.

Within two months, the couple married, moved in together, and began a seemingly blissful life in Kyoto's Muko City, making rice cakes for their New Year's celebrations.
But Isao Kakehi didn't live to see in the new year.
On December 28, he became the fourth and final victim of Japan's "Black Widow" killer.
Chisako Kakehi, now 74, is on death row for murdering three romantic partners and the attempted murder of a fourth.
The murders started in 2007, when she was 61, but she escaped suspicion until Isao Kakehi's death prompted a police investigation that resulted in her arrest in 2014.
Investigators search the home of Chisako Kakehi and her deceased husband Isao on November 20, 2014, in Muko, Japan.
By 2011, his diabetes had subsided to a "mild status" and he often frequented sports clubs, said the ruling.
He was also diving headfirst into a relationship with Kakehi.

Though it's unclear how they met or how long they dated, the couple told friends later that year they planned to marry.
The following spring, Kakehi made her move.
On March 9, 2012, she met Honda at a store, then the two went their separate ways. Around 5 p.m. that day, he lost consciousness while riding a motorcycle. Less than two hours later in hospital, doctors confirmed his death.
Evidence later showed that Kakehi had no plans to live out her years with Honda. Two months before his death, in January 2012, she had already begun secretly dating other men through a dating agency.
The cancer survivor and the final victim
Minoru Hioki struggled with loneliness and a relapse of lung cancer in his later years. But by July 2013, life was looking up: his cancer had been almost completely treated by radiation therapy and "he was in great health," said the ruling.
To top it off, the 75-year-old had a new romantic interest.
By August 2013, Hioki appeared devoted to Kakehi, writing to her in an email that he wanted to "stay together forever." They were close, often eating together and spending the night in each other's homes, said the ruling.
Their idyllic romance came to an end on September 20 when the couple went out for dinner.
Hioki, like Kakehi's second husband Suehiro, often took health supplements in pill form - so it was easy for her to give him a cyanide pill "under the guise of health food," said the ruling. They had just finished their meal when Hioki lost consciousness. By the time an ambulance arrived, he was "breathing painfully and gasping," according to the ruling.
Despite knowing he had children and had recovered from his cancer, Kakehi lied to the ambulance crew, claiming he had no family and was suffering terminal lung cancer. When they offered the resuscitation procedure, she refused permission to resuscitate him. He died within two hours.
Kakehi only seemed to get bolder in accumulating relationships and victims. In November 2013, just two months after Hioki's death, she had already married her next and final target - Isao Kakehi. And barely a month after their wedding, she began dating another man in secret, according to the ruling.
But Isao Kakehi was none the wiser, and seemed renewed with enthusiasm for life. In email exchanges and messages, he told his new wife he wanted to "do their best to enjoy a bright second life and live long."
Within weeks of their marriage, the newlywed suffered a cardiopulmonary arrest shortly after eating dinner at home with his new wife. She called the ambulance, which rushed him to the hospital - but he died just an hour later.
His death roused suspicion about Kakehi's string of unlucky lovers, prompting a police investigation that quickly unraveled her web of deceit.
Catching a killer
Autopsies are rare in Japan, and are typically only performed when there is suspicion of foul play - which may be why the deaths of her former partners went largely unnoticed at the time.
But Isao Kakehi's death was considered suspicious enough to warrant an autopsy, which revealed lethal amounts of cyanide ions in his heart, blood and stomach, as well as erosion in his stomach.
Days after his death, authorities found health supplement pills and empty capsules in Kakehi's apartment - suggesting that she had emptied the health supplements and refilled them with cyanide that had been ground to a powder.
In August 2014, investigators discovered their smoking gun in Isao Kakehi's apartment. Buried in a pot plant his wife had thrown out was a plastic bag containing traces of cyanide.
The color of the bag and its contents suggested the cyanide had been buried for several months - and the same type of plastic zipper storage bag was found in Kakehi's apartment. Kakehi had obtained the cyanide from her job at the printing factory, the ruling said.

Views: 1


You need to be a member of On Feet Nation to add comments!

Join On Feet Nation

© 2021   Created by PH the vintage.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service